Creamy Mushroom and Farro Soup
Published on December 6, 2018
- In the Instant Pot or Crockpot:
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any excess fat
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- ¾ cup Farro, pearled and uncooked
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cups of low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
On the Stovetop:
- 1.5 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 ½ cups of Fairlife skim/regular skim milk
- Instant Pot: Put all ingredients in the first list into the Instant Pot. Cook for 45 minutes (manual, high pressure). After the soup has cooked, manually release the steam using the valve on the top of the instant pot.
Crockpot: Put all ingredients in the first list into the crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the Instant Pot or crockpot. Using 2 forks, shred the chicken thighs. Return the shredded chicken to the Instant Pot or crockpot.
- Stovetop: When the soup is done, melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Let the mixture cook for a minute or two to remove the floury taste. Whisk in the milk, a little bit at a time, until you have a smooth, thickened sauce.
- Together: Mix the creamy sauce with the soup in the Instant Pot or crockpot.
Makes about 10 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Recipe adapted from Pinch of Yum