Holiday Kale Salad
For pecan parmesan:
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ Tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
- ½ teaspoon minced peeled ginger root
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped with skin
- ¼ cup dried sweetened cranberries
- ½ cup pomegranate arils (seed/juice sacs)
- 1/3 cup pecans, chopped
Make the pecan parmesan: Preheat the oven to 300°F. Spread the pecans in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for 7 to 9 minutes, until lightly golden and fragrant. Set aside to cool for 5 minutes. In a mini food processor, combine the toasted pecans, nutritional yeast, oil, and salt and process until crumbly and combined. Set aside.
Make the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together the apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, cinnamon, salt, olive oil, unsweetened applesauce, and minced ginger until combined.
To assemble the salad: place the kale in a large salad bowl and pour on the dressing. With your hands, massage the dressing into the kale leaves until fully coated. Let stand for at least 30 minutes. The kale will soften slightly during this time. Top the kale with chopped apple, dried cranberries, and pomegranate arils. Sprinkle the pecan Parmesan and pecans over the salad just before serving.
Makes 10 servings
Serving Size: about 1/2 cup