Black-Eyed Pea & Tuna Salad
- 2-15 oz cans black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 2-5 oz cans tuna packed in water, drained (drained, ~4oz tuna)
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp Tabasco sauce/hot sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 dash salt
Sprinkle some of the lemon juice over the chopped onions while you prepare the other ingredients. This will take some of the oniony edge off the onions. Drain the tuna and drain and rinse the black-eyed peas. Add the black-eyed peas and tuna to a bowl and gently stir to combine. Add the onions, parsley, black pepper, lemon zest and lemon juice and mix to combine. Add Tabasco sauce and olive oil. Add salt to taste. Chill before serving. This salad will last several days in the fridge, tightly covered.
Serving suggestion: Put on top of a bed of arugula for a balanced meal.
- Exchange the parsley for 2 tbsp thinly sliced fresh mint.
- Try substituting 2-15 oz cans of white beans or chickpeas in place of the black-eyed peas.
Makes 8 servings
Serving Size: ½ cup
*Note: this analysis was done with solid white albacore tuna. Chunk Light Tuna will be slightly lower in protein and alter the nutrition analysis.
Modified from SimplyRecipes.com