BBQ & Cauli’Rice Casserole
- 5 cups roughly chopped cauliflower OR cauliflower rice
- 1 lb. raw boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp each salt and black pepper
- 1 cup chopped red onion
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce with 5 grams sugar or less per 2-tbsp. serving (such as Stubbs Original OR Red Duck)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9″ X 13″ baking pan with nonstick spray.
Pulse cauliflower in a blender until reduced to rice-sized pieces, working in batches as needed.
Pound chicken to 1/2-inch thickness. Season with salt and pepper. Bring an extra-large skillet sprayed with nonstick spray to medium heat. Cook for about 4 minutes per side, until cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board. Remove skillet from heat; clean, if needed.
Re-spray, and return to medium heat. Add cauliflower and onion. Cook and stir until mostly softened, 8 – 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
Chop chicken into bite size pieces, and add to the large bowl with cauliflower rice mixture. Add cilantro, garlic powder, 1/2 cup cheddar, and 1/4 cup BBQ sauce. Mix thoroughly. Transfer mixture to the baking pan, and smooth out the top. Top with remaining 1/2 cup BBQ sauce and 1/2 cup cheddar.
Bake until entire dish is hot and cheddar topping has melted, 20 – 25 minutes.
Makes 6 servings
Serving Size: 1/6th recipe
Modified from HungryGirl.com