New Orleans Gumbo
- 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, un-drained (low-sodium and fire roasted)
- 1 small can of tomato paste
- ½ Cup of Low-Fat / Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat and diced
- 1, 13-14oz turkey kielbasa sausage link, diced (or 1 large turkey andouille sausage link), diced
- 1 bag frozen medium shrimp, thawed, tails removed and diced
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of Old Bay Seasoning
Add tomatoes, tomato paste, vegetable broth, and raw chicken breasts to a large stockpot. Cook on medium high until chicken is cooked through.
Add turkey kielbasa sausage (or turkey andouille sausage), shrimp, green pepper, onion, celery, Cajun seasoning, garlic, black pepper, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Stir gently to combine all the ingredients.
Cover and simmer for about 20-40 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve over Cauliflower Rice.
Makes 15 servings
Serving Size: Heaping ½ cup
|Sugar||6.3g (not from added sugar)|
Contributed by Dr. Clinton Bolton