Tomato Basil Bisque with Italian Meatballs
1 leek stalk, sliced thinly
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 28-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
1/3 cup light coconut milk
½ lb 93% lean ground beef
2.6 ounces TVP (use food scale to measure), mixed with 6 oz. boiling water to reconstitute
2 teaspoons garlic powder
3 teaspoons dried oregano
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a sheet pan or line with a sheet pan with parchment paper.
2. Combine the ground beef, reconstituted TVP, garlic powder, dried oregano, onion powder, mustard powder, salt, and pepper. Using a 1/8 cup measuring cup, form the mixture into 14 meatballs.
3. Place the meatballs on the prepared sheet pan and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through.
4. While the meatballs are cooking, heat the olive oil in a large saucepan on medium-high heat and add the leeks. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until the leeks have softened.
5. Pour the sautéed leeks from the saucepan into a blender, then add the diced tomatoes (with juice), fresh basil, and coconut milk. Blend until you reach the desired consistency (pulsing for a chunkier texture, blending on high for a creamy bisque).
6. Pour the tomato bisque back into the saucepan and turn heat to medium-low, to warm throughout.
7. Once the meatballs are finished cooking, add to the bisque.
*Cooking Tip: If purchasing one pound of beef, try doubling the recipe and freezing half to enjoy later!
Makes about 5 servings (including ~3 meatballs)
Serving size: 1 cup
Saturated Fat 1.6g
Recipe adapted from Physical Kitchness