Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 3-4lb whole chicken, giblets removed
- 2 carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 1 small onion
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons herbes de Provence,
- 2 Tbsp other salt-free dry herb & spice mix
- 2-4 sprigs of fresh herbs- rosemary/sage/thyme
You will also need a 6-quart slow cooker.
Cut carrots, celery and onion into large chunks and line bottom of slow cooker. Trim chicken of any excess skin. Rinse chicken, pat dry, and stuff with garlic cloves and lemon halves. Season with salt, pepper, and herbs/spices. If using dry herbs apply on top of chicken. If using fresh herbs place inside the chicken as well.
Place the whole chicken (breast side down) on top of vegetables in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 – 8 hours, or until chicken is 165 degrees and the juices run clear.
Remove the chicken from the stock and let the chicken rest for 5-10 minutes. If serving immediately, cut the chicken into pieces. Serve with steamed or roasted vegetables.
Serving tips for leftovers:
- Shred the leftover chicken with two forks and refrigerate for up to 3-4 days. Use over salads, in tacos/enchiladas, low-carb chicken pizza, homemade chicken salad (try using low-fat Greek yogurt in place of mayonnaise for a healthier option) or for a protein boost in casseroles, soups & dips.
- Slice leftover chicken breast and use in place of deli meat for sandwiches.
- You can save your cooking broth and use this later in a soup/ chili later in the week. Or freeze this for several months. First strain to remove any solids and vegetables. Allow to cool and set in the refrigerator for 2 hours. When the stock is chilled, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can easily remove it.
Makes 6.5-8.5 servings
Serving Size: 3oz, boneless skinless cooked chopped chicken
Modified from FoodNetwork.com