Creamy White Chili
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, grilled with 1/4tsp each, salt, black pepper, garlic powder.
- 1 tsp canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1.5 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (14.5oz) can low sodium chicken broth
- 2 (15.5oz) cans low sodium great northern beans, drained
- 2 (4oz) cans green chilies
- ½ c reduced fat sour cream, room temperature*
- ½ c skim milk
Grill (or poach chicken) until cooked and then cut into 1/2inch cubes. In a large pot, sauté onion in canola oil until translucent. Add garlic powder, cumin, oregano, black pepper, cayenne pepper. Add in beans, broth, and chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Take chili off direct heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream and skim milk before serving to add richness.
*Sour cream can be left out altogether OR add dollop of about 1.5TB per serving bowl. The chili will not freeze well with sour cream.
Makes about 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 1/4 cup
Contributed by Debbie Ragan