Italian Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 lb 93% lean ground beef black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt, plus additional 3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8″ thick
- 1 tsp olive oil Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/2 large onion, chopped 1 1/2 cups fat free ricotta cheese
- 3 cloves garlic, minced 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 (28 oz can) crushed tomatoes 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil or (1 tbsp dried) 12 oz (3 cups) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 375°.
In a medium sauce pan, brown meat and season with salt. When cooked, drain in colander to remove any fat.
Add olive oil to the pan and sauté garlic and onions about 2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and add tomatoes, basil, and pepper. Simmer on medium low for 20 minutes, uncovered. The sauce should be thick.
Meanwhile, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, lightly sprinkle with salt and set aside or 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture off of the zucchini slices with a paper towel.
Place zucchini slices in a single layer on a sheet pan greased lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes.
Once zucchini has cooled slightly, blot excess moisture again using a paper towel.
In a medium bowl, mix ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese and egg. Stir well.
In a 9×13 casserole, spread 1/3 of sauce on the bottom and layer the zucchini on top (just enough to cover). Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture over the zucchini, then top with 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese and repeat the process until all your ingredients are used up.
Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes. Uncover the foil and bake an additional 20-30 minutes (to dry up the sauce). You should see the casserole bubbling around the edges of your pan.
Let stand about 5 – 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings
Modified from skinnytaste.com