Eggplant Rollatini with Spinach
- 2 medium Italian eggplants, cut lengthwise into 20 (1/4 inch thick) slices (21 oz total when sliced)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Black pepper, fresh cracked, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups Easy Marinara Sauce (see recipe, attached)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup part skim (OR fat free) ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving
- 8 oz frozen spinach, heated through and squeezed well
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 8 fresh basil leaves (chopped)
Prepare the eggplant by trimming off both ends. Next, quarter the eggplants in lengthwise. Cut each eggplant segment into 1/8 -1/4 inch thick lengthwise slices with a mandolin or sharp knife. You will end up with about 20 slices. You can choose to either grill or bake the eggplant.
- If grilling… Season the eggplant lightly with 1tsp kosher salt and pepper. Prepare the grille with cooking spray to avoid sticking. Next line your eggplant slices on your grill over medium heat. Cook for about 4 minutes, flip and cook alternate sides for another 4 minutes or until soft.
- If baking… First sprinkle the eggplant with 1tsp kosher salt to help remove excess moisture and bitterness from the eggplants. Set aside for about 10 to 15 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Arrange eggplant on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Cover tightly with foil and bake until eggplant is tender and pliable, about 6-8 minutes.
Prepare your 13x 9” baking dish by spreading 1/4 cup marinara sauce on the bottom of the pan.
In a medium bowl, beat the egg. Then mix together with ricotta, Pecorino Romano, spinach, basil, garlic, and 1/8 tsp pepper.
Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels. Dividing the ricotta-spinach mixture (about 1 generous tablespoon each) evenly and spoon onto one end of each eggplant slice, spreading to cover. Starting at the short end, roll up slices and arrange them each seam side down in the prepared dish. Top with remaining marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese and tightly cover with foil.
Bake until the eggplant is very tender, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving with additional Pecorino Romano if desired.
Makes 10 bariatric servings
Serving Size: 2 pieces
Modified from SkinnyTaste.com