Textured Vegetable Protein Breakfast Sausage Crumbles
Contributed by: DeliciousImperative
Slightly sweet, slightly spicy, this substitute for breakfast sausage faithfully recreates those tantalizing flavors that make a potato and veggie skillet into a hearty start to the day. This recipe was not tested by Bob’s Red Mill.
- 2 cups TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
- 2 tsp Vegetable Bouillon powder or paste
- 1/2 tsp dried Sage
- 1/2 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/4 tsp powdered Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp pure Maple Syrup
- 2 cups Water
Combine all ingredients except TVP in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Boil for 5 minutes to help rehydrate the spices and blend flavors.
In a heatproof bowl, pour the boiling broth mixture over the TVP and stir to combine. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- This mixture makes great breakfast tacos when mixed with a little salsa, or you can enjoy it as we do in a skillet with home-style potatoes, diced onions and green peppers, and salsa.
- Makes 12 servings
Serving Size: 1/12th of recipe (~1/3 cup)
|Total Fat||0.1 g (Saturated fat: 0 g; Unsaturated fat: 0 g)|
|Total Carbohydrate||5.7 g (Dietary Fiber: 2.8 g; Sugars: 2.0 g)|