Slow Cooked Bone-In White Chicken Chili
This dish literally cooks itself while you are at work or play.
- 1 pound skinless chicken thighs
- 1 pound dry Great Northern White Beans, rinsed (about 2 ½ cups)
- 6 cups low fat, low sodium chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp low sodium tomato paste
- 1 medium green bell perpper, cored and deiced (about ¾ cups)
- 1 large medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 ½ cups)
- 3-6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Nonfat sour cream
Rinse the chicken and pat them dry with paper towels.
Place the beans in the slow cooker, along with broth and tomato paste. Stir to dissolve the tomoato paste and add the chicken,
bell pepper, onion, garlic, jalapeno pepper, oregano, cumin, paprika, chili powder, and cayenne pepper (if using).
Cook on high for 10 hours. Serve in warm bowls and top each with a sprig of cilantro and a teaspoon of sour cream.
Yield: Makes 8 (3/4 cup) servings
Analysis: Each with
|Carbohydrates||32.5 grams (Sugars: 4.5 grams)|
|Total Fat||3.75grams (Saturated Fat: 0.85 grams)|
Adapted from: Recipes for Life After Weight Loss Surgery: Delicious Dishes for Nourishing the New You