Zucchini Turkey Chili
- 1lb ground turkey or chicken (93% lean)
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 2 medium zucchini – unpeeled, cubed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (14.5oz) can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 (14.5oz) can petite diced tomatoes with chilies
- 1 cup chicken stock (unsalted or low sodium)
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt (optional)
- Optional: 1-2 jalapenos – small dice – I like it spicy so I leave in the seeds and ribs
Chili seasoning mix:
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 ½ Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tsp black pepper
Heat large Dutch oven (or large, heavy bottom pot) over medium heat and add ½ Tbsp of olive oil. Add ground turkey and brown. Drain meat and put off to the side.
Add additional 1 Tbsp of olive oil to Dutch oven and add celery, zucchini, onion (and optional jalapenos) – sauté 4-5 minutes until tender and have a little color.
Add chicken stock, tomato sauce, tomato paste, petite diced tomatoes with chilies and 1-2 Tbsp of the chili seasoning mix. Let this simmer together for 8-10 minutes.
Add cooked turkey and drained beans to the pot with additional 1 Tbsp of chili seasoning & 1tsp salt.
Quick Cook Version: Cook on medium heat for 10 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
Slow Cook Version: Simmer in Dutch oven/ heavy pot or in crock pot on low for 4-6 hours.
Contributor’s Note: You can also use a chili seasoning packet but I find there is a lot of salt and I prefer to tailor my own.
Makes 12 servings
Serving size: 1 cup
Contributed by Stephanie Chandler