Mexican Zucchini Lasagna
- 3-4 Large Zucchini, rinsed ¾ cup tomato sauce
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil ¾ cup salsa of your choice
- 1 lb ground 99% fat free turkey 1 15 oz container of fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 small onion, diced (or ½ large) 1 large egg
- 3 cloves garlic, diced ½ cup cilantro rinsed & roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp + 1 tsp low-sodium Taco Seasoning 4 oz light grated Mexican blend cheese
- Pepper 1 large red or green bell pepper, chopped
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Using a mandolin or a sharp knife, slice zucchini into 1/8″ thick slices, lightly sprinkle with salt and set aside for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes, blot excess moisture off of the zucchini slices with a paper towel.
Place zucchini slices in a single layer on a sheet pan greased lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Once zucchini has cooled slightly, blot excess moisture again using a paper towel and set aside.
Heat olive oil over medium/high heat in a large pan. Add in the ground turkey, onion, garlic, taco seasoning, and a pinch of pepper. Cook until onion is soft and turkey is browed (Approx 10-12 minutes). Set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the tomato sauce and salsa and set aside.
In a separate bowl, use a fork to beat together the ricotta cheese, egg, and another pinch of pepper. Set Aside.
TO ASSEMBLE: Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Start by pouring half the sauce mixture on the bottom, spreading out evenly, followed by half the turkey. Layer half the zucchini noodles in a single layer, lightly overlapping them, followed by half the ricotta mixture. Gently spread out the ricotta evenly over the zucchini. Sprinkle half the cilantro over. Repeat the layers once more. Add the shredded cheese and chopped pepper on top of the last layer.
To cook, cover lasagna with tin foil and bake for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes until the excess moisture is gone and the lasagna is golden brown and bubbling.
Makes ~8 servings
Modified from FoodFaithFitness.com