Regular exercise is critical to weight loss and health maintenance. We expect all patients to begin a dedicated program starting before surgery and continuing this as a lifetime habit.
Benefits of Exercise
- Increases self-esteem
- Speeds up the weight loss process
- Strength training/weight lifting helps reduce “excess skin”
- Decreases stress and elevates mood
- Helps with heart health
Starting An Exercise Program
Pursue activities that you enjoy and find friends and family to join you to stay motivated. We recommend starting with 2-3 days of exercise a week working towards a goal of 5 days a week. You need to start slowly and gradually add to your routine. We use heart rate targets to guide the your exercise, hoping to achieve a heart rate of 120 bmp for 30-45 minutes with each session. If you have pain in weight-bearing joints, look into a local water aerobic classes or use low impact machines such as an elliptical or stationary bicycle at a local gym. In addition, add 1-2 days of weight training between cardiovascular workouts during the week to maintain muscle mass.
- Exercise is as important as healthy eating , breathing, and sleeping. Accept no excuses for stopping exercise.
- Explore new types of exercise. Your body learns your routine. You need to change the muscle groups that you “overload” to stimulate your metabolism. If your not sore the next day, if your not sweating, or stimulating your heart rate, you need to work harder.
- Consider working with a personal trainer, especially if you suffer from physical limitations. They offer professional guidance to help you enjoy and benefit from safe exercise.
- Make a schedule: exercise is a priority. You must schedule it into your regular routine to succeed.
- Stay active between workouts: Walk as much as possible between workouts. Park farther away, get off the bus a couple of stops early, take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Participate in team sports/group activities: group activities help you stay committed to a program. Great examples include water exercise, yoga classes, and spin cycle classes.